At Children's Hospital of Richmond at VCU, we believe a partnership with children, families and health care providers is the best way to provide the most effective and complete patient care. We call this innovative approach family-centered care.
The Health Care Team
The members of your child's health care team will include:
- Your child
- Your family
- Resident physicians (physicians in training)
- Medical students
- Child life specialists
- Hospital teachers
- Social workers
- Other allied health care professionals involved in your child's care
This form will help you keep track of your child's health care team members.
Families are an integral part of the health care team and are invited to participate in daily discussions about their child's care plan. Choosing to participate in this discussion means you will join the medical team in family-centered rounds, which:
- Allow the family to offer insight regarding your child's behaviors and/or reactions.
- Are held at your child's bedside
- Encourage family participation in the decision-making process
- Lessen anxiety for you and your child
- Provide an opportunity for better communication among the health care providers and family members, resulting in a more accurate and unified plan of care
- Provide educational experiences for the family and health care providers
Family-centered rounds will be conducted every morning. Please discuss your availability (time frame) to be involved with family-centered rounds with your medical team.
For a helpful list of frequently asked questions about family-centered care, click here.