Social Media Guidelines
Children's Hospital of Richmond at Virginia Commonwealth University is a part of the VCU Health System.
CHoR has an active presence in multiple social media channels. Please read our guidelines before joining the conversation. By participating in these social media channels, you agree to the terms on this page.
Note: If you are experiencing an emergency, please call 911. Messages sent through social media will be returned within 72 hours and are not intended to be used for emergency situations.
CHoR participates in:
CHoR reserves the right to address any comments or content deemed inappropriate, or block or suspend users posting such content. The following types of comments are expressly prohibited:
- Abusive or hateful comments
- Comments that use bad language (ex., cursing)
- Comments that include "hate speech" (language that could be viewed as offensive based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or special needs)
- Personal attacks or abusive comments (ie., insults to someone's character) rather than simply commenting with a different view point
- Comments and/or photos that violate the privacy of our patients, families and/or team members
- Comments that violate local, state, or federal laws and regulations, including copyright laws, and including the posting of links that can cause harm to computers
- Confidential information, including protected health information
- Solicitation of sales or promotion of services, websites, or organizations not related to CHoR
- Statements found to be false by law enforcement
- Falsely representing that you are an employee or representative of CHoR
Information posted and/or shared on our social media sites should not be considered medical advice, nor is it intended to replace consultation with a qualified health care provider. Use of CHoR social media does not create a health care provider-patient relationship with any CHoR provider. If you have questions about your health, please contact your health care provider.
Third-party links to other websites/organizations (ex., American Heart Association) on our social media sites are provided as a service to readers and do not constitute endorsements of said content or organizations. CHoR is not responsible for the content of external websites.
By posting/sharing content to CHoR social media pages (wall posts, comments, photos, links, etc.), you understand that this information is publicly available and CHoR has no control over duplication of content, images, videos, etc. If you do not wish to have your information published and available to the general public, please do not post the information to our social media pages.
For assistance with billing, appointments or patient concerns, please contact Patient Centered Services at (804) 628-0400.
Social Media Tips for Patients and Families
- When taking photos on our campuses, be mindful of others who may be in the background
- For your safety and privacy, avoid taking/posting photos on your own page, or CHoR pages, that contain medical information (ex., wrist band, computer monitors, white boards and/or financial information)
- Please ask hospital team members for their permission before including them in photos
- Remember the Internet is permanent – assume that once you post information it stays visible forever
- Do not reveal your location within the hospital (ie., do not show room numbers or other identifying information)
- Turn-off GPS capabilities on your smartphone before posting photos
- Contact local authorities and/or the specific social media outlet if you feel you are being bullied or harassed on social media